Wednesday, January 18, 2012

purging and stuff...

I had some technical stuff - telephone/cable/internet service changes- to take care of which meant moving stuff around in my office - always a slightly traumatic experience - cables and phone lines getting rerouted here and there means moving things that have been in place for a long time - good excuse to carry it a bit further and purge a bit - get rid of stuff I’ve been meaning to but have been putting off...I went through my yarn stash and came up with 3 large boxes of stuff I’m never going to knit - I took the easy way out and called Lucie, from our local machine knitting club and asked her if I could donate it all to the club - they could use it however for some sort of charity fund-raiser - she said yes and by the time she got here, I have 5 boxes of stuff!! Oh, this feels so good! Now I have room on my shelves for more - new colours, new yarns and I don’t have to feel guilty about not using all that other stuff!

I just checked the Knit’n Style website - http://www.knitnstyle.com/ -
 the new issue is out! And they didn’t use my title for the new series (W5) - oh well, no big deal - I guess it was too out-there for them...but anyway the new issue is available and early again!! Kudos to them - I am working on my #180 garment - I think it’s for the August issue that comes out maybe in June??? - I’m doing a summer cardigan with a hand-transferred lace border, using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece DK in peridot which is a nice mid-green shade. I love this yarn. It gives nice definition to detailed stitches and is perfect for the border pattern. Needles are left out of work for a few rows after the transfers and then are brought back in on every other row - pretty easy to do and I like the wide-open effect - after several swatches to nail the edging combined with the border lace, I just need to work on the closures/buttonholes...
The swatch at the top is a 14 stitch repeat with a picot hem, similar to one I did on the standard gauge machine a few years ago, but this yarn doesn't do well with the picot so I played a bit and decided the chain cast-on was more effective, altered it to a 12 stitch  repeat - I'm happy!

2 comments:

My One and Only said...

I got this new issue, Mary Anne!
I know how you might feel about the editing. But, you know? I love to see and read anything you have to say in the magazine! Thank you again.

My One and Only said...

The color and edges on #180 are beautiful! Would love to try that technique out.
As for extra yarn... Wow! Would I love to get some! ;-)))